Sunday, October 4, 2015

Entry One: Introduction and Overview

Entry One:
My name is Dan Luu. The picture to the left is an image of my plant, Penny. Since I do not possess a smart phone, I was unable to take a pictorial image of Penny during school, so I had to take a picture of her clone at home, where she is under better care than her twin at school.
Penny is a Kamatafuji peony tree. The Kamatafuji peony tree is a special type of tree, with its origin tracing back to ancient China. This type of tree can only be grown by the Chinese Emperor himself, which is why peony trees are typically called "The Emperor's flower." The Kamatafuji peony tree eventually spread internationally after the 8th century, when it reached Japan.
Penny is a flowering tree. Although its blooming/flowering period varies from year to year, the Kamatafuji peony tree usually flowers from late April to early May. A mature plant can reach a height of four to five feet tall and have in excess a hundred that spans more than ten inches wide. The flowers range in color from maroon, crimson, scarlet, various shades of pink, to pure white. For it to properly grow, the tree requires frequent watering and full sun exposure. It can adapt to any type of soil, but moisture must be well drained. The Kamatafuji peony tree is very sturdy under extreme heat and cold temperature and, if nurtured properly, can bloom for a lifetime.
My assignment in this Green Thumb Project is to be responsible for taking care of my plant. I must help it to develop into well-nurtured plant, while acquiring knowledge about my plant through botany. Additionally, I will consider how evolutionary processes have shaped my plant and the process in which it absorb nutrients throughout it structure. I am hoping to learn how plants transport its nutrients throughout its internal structure, photosynthesize, and reproduce. I am also interested in how GMO, pesticides, and other chemicals affect its growth.
I would consider myself a green thumb. Despite the fact that Penny is sturdy under extreme conditions, I have plenty of other plants grown in my backyard, such as tomatoes, pumpkins, and chili peppers, that did not wither and die under my care.

No comments:

Post a Comment